Thursday, July 28, 2011

Business Trips, Friends, and Summer Music :)

So right now I am beyond exhausted, I swear, this Texas heat wave is draining me of every last bit of energy.
But something kind of exciting happened this week! I had the privilege of  driving down to Austin with the Doctor that I work for. We were attending a public hearing that  was going to be in one of the buildings by the capitol. It all happened kind of quickly, and before I knew it I was packing my bags to come along with her. We stayed in a nice hotel Monday night, and got up Tuesday morning to get ourselves looking nice and ready for the big event. We dressed up in our professional attire and took off for downtown Austin. I was incredibly nervous, because I had to prepare a three minute speech, and deliver it to the board that was hosting the public hearing.

To kind of explain why the hearing was being held, I will try to make a long story short. The Texas Board of Chiropractic medicine is being sued by the Texas Medical Board. They are trying to change the scope that says what a Chiropractor can and can't do. Although the proposed changes are many and pretty confusing to lots of people, I will say that a big part is the nutrition part. These changes could affect the Chiropractors ability to treat anyone of their patients for anything with nutrition and supplements. Well, for those of you who don't know, the nutrition side of Chiropractic Medicine is my whole career. I work everyday doing wellness and nutrition testing and guidance for many patients. If this law were to be passed, I would be out of a job.

So I went down to Austin  with my boss so that we could both defend our jobs. It was super intimidating to get up in front of that Board, and the many doctors and lawyers that were there, to give my speech. I was probably the youngest person that spoke in that meeting. But I felt good once it was done. I have never felt more important and official and professional in my whole life. Haha, I actually felt like a real adult. And as I walked away from the podium and back to my seat, the crowd applauded, and I got the smile from my boss. You know the one. The one that says "Good job Melissa, I'm so proud of you." I don't know. That's what it felt like to me.

The hearing lasted almost 4 hours. It was kind of funny to see a bunch of Chiropractors fiddling in their seats because their backs hurt from sitting for so long. It was rough. Let me tell ya. But after the hearing, we went out to a super fancy seafood and steakhouse restaurant to celebrate our efforts for the day. We ate so much food there, that we probably looked like ducks wobbling out.

The last two days I've been back at work, and I was glad to hear that today the lawsuit was voted on by the board, and they decided not to pass anything yet. Which is good. That means our speeches at the hearing made a difference to the board. YAY! I feel accomplished.

But there are a few things I don't feel accomplished in.
1. I have lost all motivation to go to the gym. This needs to change.
2. I am still looking for an apartment and it's still one of the most frustrating parts of my life. haha

Here's one awesome thing that happened this week that made my whole life.

These boys came to visit me on their way down to Houston all the way from Rexburg! HOLLLAAA.
Thanks Dan and Michael, it was SO much fun to visit for a little bit.
And thank you Ally for not being  mean to me about it, and for helping me pick out their snacks!

Seriously I know I say it ALL the time, but I really made the best friends up at school in Rexburg, and I'm so very grateful that the friendships are still going strong and that little visits like this one still happen despite being apart for a while. I really don't know where I'd be without the amazing friends that I have made the last four years of my life, and I just feel super blessed. So I love you all :)

I leave you with some of my favorite summer songs at the moment, ones that I definitely turn up loud in my car and sing along too. Don't judge, you know you do it too!

1. How to love-Lil Wayne
2. Super Bass- Nicki Minaj
3. Stereo Hearts- Gym Class Heroes ft Adam Levine
4. Every Teardrop is a Waterfall-Coldplay
5. She Ain't You-Chris Brown (seriously i wish i could dance like him)
6. Next 2 You- Chris Brown and Justin Bieber
7. Blind- Kesha
8. Just a Kiss-Lady Antebellum (obsessed with this video)
9.Never Gonna Leave This Bed- Maroon 5
10. Hello- solveig & dragonette

3 comments:

Becca and Derek said...

OMG what a fun surprise for you! I seriously smiled when I saw how happy you looked in that photo! What amazing friends you have!
xoxo

Jen said...

Nice Work Mel! You are awesome! Hope you get the motivation to go to the gym and that you find somewhere to live. Love ya

dansdays said...

don't forget about the song "motivation"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...