Sunday, June 5, 2011

Everyone Has A Story

The other day I walked into my house from work one night, and my mom asked me how my day was. I looked at her, and just kind of sighed. I started to tell her all of these things that were on my mind and stressing me out. As I kept talking, I felt the tears creep up on me. So I turned away and stopped talking, trying to forget about it. I didn't think my mom really noticed, so we continued our chat, and I thought she would forget about my mini vent session.

Well I was talking with my mom again today and she was balancing her check book. I for some reason can never grab the concept of balancing a check book every time she tries to show me. I told her today that I hate balancing check books because it stresses me out, and she started to laugh. She told me that she couldn't help but laugh when she thought of my mini vent session the other day. She said "There I was listening to you talk about all these little things that have been stressing you out, and I was semi jealous that those were the only things you have to worry about right now." She started laughing, she told me "If only you knew what kind of things you will have to worry about when you're my age. Think about the last few years of my life, and tell me you'd rather have my stresses."

That statement of hers really made me stop and think. And wow, it made me feel like a weak little thing. How could I sit there and almost burst into tears when telling my mom about my "tiny" problems after I have watched her continue to conquer trial after trial for so many years. The trials my mother has pulled our family through over the last two years have been unimaginable, and probably some of the most difficult years of my life. My mom has always been a great example of strength to me.

I hesitate to even blog about this, because literally none of you really know what I'm talking about. Well. Most of you don't. But that's ok, everyone has hard things in their life that they just don't talk about. Sometimes it's easier to live in a life where people don't know what you're going through. Everyone has a story.

Moral of this story I believe is that we should be grateful for the tough times in our lives. We can really learn so much through them. We also should be grateful for them because they really could be ten times worse right?

5 comments:

Kelli Warren said...

Your mom is amazing and so strong, and so are you, two peas in a pod :) Um I still haven't heard from you since we graduated...I hope you know you can still call me any time and even if I can't answer I will call you back, just like a couple summers ago when we would talk every day at lunch while I crossed the really busy street to get to taco bell...
Love you and miss you sooooo much mel!

AllyM said...

well said. love you.

Becca and Derek said...

Very true! Just remember that everything happens for a reason. I know it sounds really lame and cliche', but it's true!
xoxo

arielle @ a beautiful journey. said...

so true! we really do learn so much through tough times!

kemp. said...

It's so true how we never realize how good our lives are until someone else points it out. I came to that realization today in church, and I was thinking about your blog.

No coincidences you're the coolest Melissa!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...