Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Graduation Weekend :)

WELP.

It's been a while. I have so many thoughts I want to blog about, but I'm not sure I have the energy to write it all out. For starters, I graduated from college this last weekend, 4 days ago actually. It was an incredible experience. The whole time I had to keep asking myself "Is this real life?!", it was and still is so surreal.

The day before I graduated, my very best friend in the whole world came over with his fiancé to give me a little graduation gift. Well...I expected it to be little. They walk in with this cute little box, and I open it up, and what do I see? A brand new laptop box. I literally thought that there was something else in the box, and I just kept flipping the box over and over trying to figure out what it was. Yep. It was real. It was a computer. I stood up and said "Kelan Larkin, what is this?!", and he just smiled. The I looked at him and said "You're gonna make me cry!" I turned around and just let the tears come, and Kelan got all excited and said "Yes...mission accomplished." Seriously, best friends ever. I am still in shock.

And then they came to my graduation and made me feel all sorts of special.

The whole week leading up to graduation was an emotional one for me, I seriously could cry on demand.

As I started to unpack my room, and take down my pictures, I couldn't help but just start crying at the thought of leaving my life in Rexburg for good. It was really hard to say all my goodbyes because I made some really great friends this semester. I hate goodbyes. I always get so awkward and don't know what to say to people. I just have to try so hard to hold it together so that I don't just burst into tears. When I said goodbye to Kelsey and Ally, it was quick, but so sad for me. Those girls mean the world to me, and have quickly become some of my greatest friends.

So on graduation day, I was pretty emotional. My friend Kara came and said bye to me that morning and then I jumped in my mom's car to head to graduation. I stood in the gym in a line for a while before they had us walk into the auditorium. It still wasn't feeling real to me. But it was happening. I was standing there with all the other graduates in my cap and gown, and then it started to hit me. We then were led out of the gym to begin the walk into the ceremony. As we walked in, all of the professors were lined up along the wall and down the stair cases that we walked through, they were applauding us and giving us high fives as we walked by. It was a tender moment for me. I walked by all the health science professors that I've had over the last four years, and many of them know me, so when I walked by them they said "Congratulations Melissa!", that is when it really hit me. This was really happening.

The ceremony's were great, and the speakers were amazing. I walked across that stage, shook President Clark's hand for the last time, and finished my career at BYU-Idaho.
I got to graduate with many of my friends that I met way back in my first semester of school. Here is me with Glenna and Kelli, both girls were my roommates for many years.

That same day, my mom and I jumped in a packed full car to start the long drive back to Texas. We ended up taking the long way home because we wanted to stop in St. George and see my grandparents. So all in all it took us about 30 hours to drive all the way back, and I probably drove 97% of that. For most of the road you could see nothing but road for forever, boy am I glad to be back in the city...
.

On the way home we made a little stop at Jacob Lake, a little place up by the North Rim of the Grand Canyon that I worked at a few summers ago. I surprised one of the managers that was up there, I am really close with him and his family, they are some of my best friends. When I walked in through the door, he looked at me, and then looked at me again, totally in shock that I was there. We hugged, started talking, and then he just started crying, he said he just couldn't believe I was there.


Ok so can I just end with this? I loved being a student in the little town of Rexburg, Idaho. I had more life changing experiences there than anywhere else. And I had the amazing opportunity to meet the most incredible friends that I think I will ever have. My life was tremendously blessed because of BYU-Idaho. Like really, I can't even put into words how grateful I am for the opportunity to go there. I am the person I am today because of the last four years there. And that little town will always be a part of me.

This blog post is so long. Sorry. I'm done.
Just would like everyone to know that tomorrow is my first day of work, and I'm sure it will be blog worthy. So I'll be back.

5 comments:

benson said...

congratulations!! These are days that you'll always remember and lifelong friendships that were made..how special for you! Best of luck in the next chapter of your life and what an amazing journey it's been for you.

Cecilia Warner said...

congrats girl! thanks for you sweet comment. i can't believe it's already graduation week for ya so crazy!
xoxo

Brittany said...

Aww! Congrats on graduating :) Excited for you!

Stephanie and Such said...

GOOD LUCK! Can't wait to hear :)

Candace Stevenson said...

CONGRATS! I didn't know you were at BYUI too! It was SO cold this winter. Congrats on getting outt the cold :)

Come read about my Lovely Little Rants ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...