Sunday, February 20, 2011

Becoming a Skilled Decision Maker.

I went to a pretty awesome Forum earlier this week. The speaker was Governor Mike Leavitt, former governor of Utah. He told us that making decisions is a process of learning and gave us ten different steps to become a skilled decision maker. And it was good for me because I ALWAYS struggle with making big decisions. Several big decisions face me at the moment, so it was helpful.
  1. Define a good outcome-define in principles, not in specifics
  2. Write it down, there is power in writing decisions out in detail
  3. Find the big gears, and they will allow you to turn the little gears.
  4. Shrink the uncertainties-examine and define them, and they will disappear
  5. Examine your biases
  6. Council with others who have experience
  7. When you start to feel frozen, make small incremental decisions
  8. Decide to decide-just do it.
  9. Have a plan-decide what to do and how to do it
  10. Spiritually confirm for decisions in spiritual and temporal life

I know I will be trying to put these ten steps to the test, and we'll see what happens.

In other news, this long weekend have been absolutely lovely. Rexburg has kind of emptied out and it's been so nice to have a relaxing quiet weekend. I've been able to catch up on lots of homework, laundry, and SLEEP!!! yay. Last night I went with some friends to watch the NBA All star Slam Dunk contest, which was pretty awesome. When it ended we went outside to leave and everything was covered in so much snow. When we had driven there just a few hours earlier everything was completely clear, and all the snow and ice had pretty much melted. WELL...it continued to snow the rest of the evening and all through the night. When I woke up at 6:45 this morning, I looked out the window and was shocked to see how much snow was outside my window. CRAZY.

Even more crazy, church started at 9:00 this morning, and at 9, I was the ONLY one in our Relief Society room. So we combined with the other R.S. and only had about 14 girls total. And then we combined all three of our Sunday school classes, I'm pretty sure there was less than 40 people in our ward that came to church today. Gotta love these holiday weekends.

Hope everyone has a nice holiday tomorrow!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...